The Academy course was instituted during the early years of the Ashram, and serves the purpose of instructing students of all ages who come to the Ashram to be educated in Yoga, Vedanta, philosophy, ethics and meditation. The various courses are taught by senior Swamis in the Ashram as well as by visiting professors.
There are generally three courses offered each year (traditionally March-April, May-June, and August-September) at the Ashram to men who are Indian citizens, between the ages of 20 and 65. Applicants who are Graduates are preferred, but more importantly they should have a keen spiritual aspiration and deep interest in the practice of Yoga and Vedanta. Applicants should also be fluent in English and be of good health.
Over the two-month duration of the course, the students will have a comprehensive course of study including class in the History of Indian and Western Philosophy, Philosophy of the Bhagavad Gita, Patanjali's Yoga System, Asanas, Pranayama, and Meditation among others.
Applications are hereby invited for undergoing the 85th (Eighty-Fifth) residential YOGA-VEDANTA COURSE of two months' duration, i.e., from 1st Mar to 29th April, 2017. This Course will be held in the Academy premises at the Headquarters of the Divine Life Society, Shivanandanagar, Rishikesh.
The details are as follows:
1. It is open to Indian citizens (Men) only. The classes are for admitted applicants who have been duly registered as students for the course.
2. Age Group: Between 20 and 65 years.
(a) Preferably Graduate with keen spiritual aspiration and deep interest in the practice of Yoga-Vedanta.
(b) Must be able to converse in English fluently as the medium of instruction is English.
(c) Should have sound health.
4. Duration of the Course:-Two months' residential Course on Yoga, Vedanta and Cultural Values.
5. Scope and syllabus of the Course:
(a) An outline study of History of Indian and Western Philosophy, Studies in Upanishads, Studies in Religious Consciousness, The Philosophy of the Bhagavadgita, Patanjali's Yoga System, Narada Bhakti Sutras and The Philosophy of Swami Sivananda.
(b) Practical:-Asana, Pranayama, Meditation and Karma Yoga. Lectures, Group discussions, Questions and Answers, and final examination will form part of the Course.
6. There will be no charges for training, boarding and lodging. Pure vegetarian food (Breakfast and two meals a day only) will be provided. Smoking, drinking and use of intoxicants are strictly prohibited.
7. The students who are admitted for the Course and complete the training shall give an undertaking that they will pursue and practise the teachings in their life.
8. Application form duly filled in should reach the undersigned by 20th of January, 2017.
9. The aim of the Yoga-Vedanta Forest Academy is not merely an academic equipment of students, but to prepare the students for a successful life in the world and to facilitate the living of a wholesome life with an integrated personality. The Course conducted in this Academy is more of the nature of an all-round discipline than merely providing students with scriptural learning or textual information.
For other details please write to:
The Yoga-Vedanta Forest Academy,
The Divine Life Society,
P.O. SHIVANANDANAGAR-249 192
Shivanandanagar, Distt Tehri-Garhwal, Uttarakhand
Phone : 0135-2433541 (Academy)
(i) The selected student alone is expected to come. He is not permitted to bring along any other family member or relative with him.
(ii) The above syllabus (vide 5) is subject to slight alterations without previous notice, in case such a need arises.
User may require Acrobat Reader to view and print the downloaded files: